Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Thoughts...

I remember when I took my wife to watch Saving Private Ryan. If you have the seen the movie then you know the power the story tales. If you haven't seen the movie, words cannot put into thought the appropriate feelings one may undergo as the picture unfolds.

But what I can explain is the powerful impact it had on my life when I watched it. I was in my early twenties, the same age as my dad when he was deep in the jungles of Vietnam. I clearly remember at the end of the film weeping. Yes...I was weeping. The kind of crying that comes with heaves of breath, full body shakes, and snotty nose. My wife thought I had lost it.

What hit me that day was the powerful impact war has on life. When I made the connection that my dad had risked it all to protect a freedom and life I wan't even born into and at that moment in time I was reaping the seeds my dad and millions of other had sown; I lost it. I loved my dad for it. Yet on the other hand, I hated war. I hated the loss and chaos it causes. I hated the hard truth that war will always be a part of this life.

I am the only male in my family who did not join the military. Both my dad and younger brother have fought in wars. Both of them have lived. And when I think about that, I am more than grateful. Why?

Because millions today hate war for another reason. Why? Because it has claimed the life of thier dad or mom, aunt or uncle, or brother or sister...all are sons and daughters of someone. They wake up today and remember their sacrafice. Their bravery. Thier call to serve and defend the hurting and helpless. For those who have lost loved ones to war, know this. God comforts the hurting. If there is one thing God should be known for, it's that.

God's own son died in a war. A war not just against flesh and blood. But to fight a war that is physical, Jesus Christ had to come and fight against the Empire of this world. He came and fought with peace. He healed, he saved, and he changed lives. He taught a new and better Kindgom; the Kingdom of God. And for that the Empire killed him. And Jesus became a causality of this world. Until, on what Christain's celebrate as Easter Sunday, Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead. As Tom Wright says, "God said 'No' to Empire and 'Yes' to Jesus." The crux of Christain faith is the resurrection. That plays a key role in understanding life and death.

When we morn for those who have gone. Soldiers, freinds, family. We need to rememeber that those who die...in Chirst...have a resurrection to look forward to. This is not the end, there is more to the story. Death has been swallowed up by resurrection and life has a whole new meaning:

Romans 8:11 "And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you."

1 Corinthians 4:14 "...because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself."

When you think about life in the light of resurrection it will change what you think about death. Today is Memorial Day. But one day it will be Resurrection Day, and everything will be changed...forever. Think about it...

0 comments: