Sunday, April 20, 2008

Knowing your place

Tonight I had the oppertunity to meet and hear one of the former pastors, Aaron Cole, of the church where I am on staff. His ability to relate deep spiritual issues to ordinary life situations was phenominal. And as he spoke a truth I often tell other people became even more real to me.

The Assembly at Broken Arrow is a church that has a 90 year history. What that means is that the church was going long before I was born and will probably be going years after I am gone. So I find my identity there is built on two things.

First, my identity is built on those that went before me. Just as Aaron had built upon those that ministered before him, we are building on his ministry. He paved a way for us. Through his hard work, sweat, and tears we have many of the things we have today. His role was paramount. So I benefit today for the battles fought, won, and lost during Aaron's time. Although, I didn't really know him, I was in essence living in a legacy he left. Those who go before us should never be forgotten.

Secondly, my identity is built on those that will go after me. As I minister, I am not in a vacuum. What I do today doesn't just affect me...it affects all those that follow me. So I must plan my ministry around the idea that I am making a path for the next generation of leaders to walk. Although I have no idea who will follow me one day, I am preparing something for them. What I do today creates the context in which they will minister in the future.
So my questions are: What are you doing today to celebrate those that have blazed the trail before you? What are you doing to remember the shoulders upon which you stand? And finally, what are you doing today to provide a great future for the one who will follow you?

Think about it...

0 comments: