Tuesday, April 1, 2008

On Life in General...

Today I attended the funeral of a man who was one of the backbones of the church I currently work for. My wife and I visit him and his wife on Fridays. Well, that was until last Friday. Instead of bringing my wife, me and another pastor made a visit that no one wants to make. They called us to let us know that Elmer was dying. Elmer was just a few months away from being 90. Just a few hours after we visited with Elmer he left this world for the next.

At the funeral, you knew without a doubt that Elmer was a family man. He enjoyed life. He loved his wife, Mary, of 62 years. He loved his kids, grandkids and great-grandkids. He was an inspiration to many.

As I looked into Mary's eyes, I could tell that I would never understand her pain. The pain of not remembering what it was like to live alone. For 62 years of her life, all she knew was her and Elmer. All I could say was that I would still come by with my wife and our baby on Fridays. Maybe that would help...who knows?

With all that going on, another thought popped into my mind. The same aged crowd that came to wish their friend farewell and console the widow he left behind was going to be back at the church only hours later to celebrate a senior adult pot luck dinner. The theme is Circus Circus. I found myslef saying, "How odd. In the morning we grieve together in loss and in the evening we celebrate together life."

And that is life in general. We have ups and downs, many times they fall right on the heels of each other. Still I find myself proclaiming that this is a great life. I only have one. Elmer made sure his life counted. I think to best remember him, I will too!

Paul said it best in Philippians 2:17. Rejoice. Make your life count. If you don't live for something, then you will die for nothing. Think about it...

0 comments: