Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Watching Seinfeld...

Almost every night I find myself rocking my baby to sleep as I watch reruns of Seinfeld, the show about nothing. Sometimes I still find myself laughing out loud at Kramer's stupidity, George's laziness, and Jerry's shallow, sarcastic observations about life. Of course this makes it hard for my baby to fall asleep, so maybe Seinfeld and rocking are a bad combination...

But why is Seinfeld such a popular and frequently quoted show, years after FOX aired its last episode? I personally think it is because it was and continues to be a reflection of contemporary life. I mean life often feels like a series of random and unconnected events. The only thing that connects these events are the relationships and stories that surround them.

We can identify with the characters as they relate to each other, both in normalcy and disfunction. We can relate to the randomness, even craziness, of modern Western living. And at the end of the day we can laugh, cry, and live life because we understand living a little better because of a show about nothing.

In the end, I think that Seinfeld was not just a show about nothing, but a show about life. Life is random, life is hectic, life is ironic, life is unpredictable, and life is full of surprises. But through it all our stories and friendships are vital to our understanding and even making sense of the world around us. Think about it...

0 comments: